2018 Beer City Pro-Am Results!
The 2nd annual edition of the Beer City Pro-Am concluded this past Saturday with the competition’s judging and awards ceremony, which coincided with the Beer City Brewers Guild Summer Picnic at Townsend Park in Cannonsburg.
This year’s event paired 25 breweries from the Beer City Brewers Guild with 25 local homebrewers who qualified for the event by scoring highly in local homebrewing competitions over the past year. This year’s winning entry came from the team of Founders Brewing Co. and Trevor Hawkins, who paired up to brew Scorpion Pale Ale, an American Pale Ale featuring Citra hops and Habenero peppers.
This year’s runner up was Final Pairing, a blended barrel aged stout made by the team of New Holland Brewing – The Knickerbocker and Paul Arends, who nearly repeated as winner after partnering with last year’s winner, City Built Brewing Co. 3rd place went to The Mitten Brewing Co. & Ken Pitchford, for Called Up, a Session Black IPA. (see below for details on all entries!)
Beers were judged based on the Brewers Association style guidelines by a panel of local beer experts. Pro-Am chairperson Nick Rodammer noted that the beers entered this year were not only diverse and creative, but were also very high quality.
“Selecting the finalists and the eventual winner this year was no easy task, as there were numerous entries that scored very highly, which is indicative of just how well made these collaborations were. This year’s event really showed the best of what Beer City’s brewers are capable of, both pro and amateur.”
By virtue of winning, Founders will take possession of the Beer City Cup, the competition’s traveling trophy, from City Built Brewing Co., the winner of the inaugural event in 2017.
The third rendition of the Beer City Pro-Am will kick off in early spring of 2019 with the announcement of the teams of breweries and homebrewers who will begin the months-long process of collaborating and brewing their entries for release and judging in the summer of 2019. Local homebrewers who live within the geographic footprint of the Beer City Brewers Guild who are interested in participating, still have chances to qualify for next year’s event, via either the O’Connors Homebrew Supply Competition taking place in September, or for members of local American Homebrew Association registered clubs, via the Beer City Club Competition this coming fall.
Beer City Brewers and Homebrewers Reconvene for the 2nd Annual Pro-Am Homebrew Championship
Area breweries are teaming up with local award-winning homebrewers to take part in the annual Beer City Pro-Am, collaborating on the creation and brewing of original recipes which will go on tap in their respective breweries, releasing July 30th through August 3rd at the respective locations.
Horrocks Market Tavern will be holding a tap-takeover on August 3rd from 5-8pm. Come on by and bring some friends to sample these creations and give you opinions! Horrocks Market is located at 4455 Breton Rd. SE in Kentwood, MI 49508.
Logan’s Alley will also be hosting a tap takeover on August 10th for the whole day from 7am until they close at 2am. Logan’s Alley is located at 916 Michigan St. NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503.
Below is the official list of all entries for the competition. Cheers!
- 5 Lakes Brewing Co. w/ Jim Verlinde
- Space Force – Pale Ale
- Atwater Brewing Co. GR w/ Nick Rodammer
- Callista – Dry-hopped Imperial Pilsner
- Bier Distillery w/ Chad Zomerlei
- Chocolate Cherry Porter – American-style Fruit Beer
- BOB’s Brewery w/ Andrew Perry
- MI All in All – All Michigan Sourced Steam Beer
- Big Boiler Brewing Co. w/ Ryan Falk
- Ryetooka – Session Rye IPA
- Brewery Vivant w/ Phil & Liz Pierce
- Cherry Street – Cherry Saison
- Cellar Brewing Co. w/ Mike Finocchio
- Eiken Kers Dubbel – Oak-aged Belgian Dubbel with Tart Cherries
- City Built Brewing Co. w/ Andrew Brouwers
- Hazy as Helles – Dry-hopped Helles Lager
- Founders Brewing Co. w/Trevor Hawkins
- Scorpion Pale Ale – Habenero Pale Ale
- Grand Rapids Brewing Co. w/ Jesse Colclasure
- Loral & Victoria’s Secret Galaxy – India Pale Lager
- Gravel Bottom Craft Brewery & Supply w/ Steve Morren
- Taco Buddy – Spiced Lager
- Harmony Brewing Co. Eastown w/ Craig Folger
- Folger’s Belgian IPA – Belgian IPA
- Harmony Hall w/ James Lewis
- Hefe Lewis & The News – Hefeweizen
- HopCat w/ Kathy Troxell
- Orange-Gasm – Kviek Cream Ale w/ Orange & Vanilla
- Mitten Brewing Co. w/ Ken Pitchford
- Called Up – Session Black IPA
- New Holland Brewing – The Knickerbocker w/ Paul Arends
- Final Pairing – Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout
- New Union Brewery w/ John Britt
- Saison du Vin – Dry-hopped Rye Saison aged in Chardonnay Barrels
- Osgood Brewing w/ George Lawlor
- Wicked Citra – New England IPA
- Pike 51 Brewing Co. w/ Jeff Carlson
- Beer City EXTRA Special Bitter – ESB
- Railtown Brewing Co. w/ Mark Staves
- Blackberry Saison – Saison
- Rockford Brewing Co. w/ Stan Strait
- Atomic Tangerine – Belgian Witbier w/ Tangerines
- Speciation Artisan Ales w/ Mark Hofman
- Cucumosis – Tart Saison w/ Cucumber, Pineapple & Sea Salt
- Thornapple Brewing Co. w/ Frank Landgraff
- Frank-N-Bier – Belgian Golden Strong Ale
- Two Guys Brewing w/ Jim March
- Green Cottage – American Pale Ale
- White Flame Brewing Co. w/ Lou Fischer
- Count Chagula – Brown Ale w/ Chaga Mushrooms & Cacao Nibs